1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angel related problem.....What is this???

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Chat' started by Scorps1212, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hey peeps

Since I have removed all discus from the tank, the 2 angels that have been with the discus from the start have been very moody and always hiding and just not being themselves. The discus have been out of the tank for a good 3-4 months now. I don't see the angels eating at feeding time but they must be eating cause 4 months of no eating surely would have killed them by now.

Anyway.....last night I spotted 1 of the angels with these white marks on it's face. I don't think it's white spot cause these marks are raised spots rather than dots on them, if that makes sense.

Anyone know what it is and what to do to help the poor bugger???

Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofile/indexshare.php?id=ODQzMTY=

Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofile/indexshare.php?id=ODQzMTc=

Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofile/indexshare.php?id=ODQzMTk=

Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofile/indexshare.php?id=ODQzMjA=

Hi, I've shared 1 photo via Photobucket. Please click the link to view photos: http://share.photobucket.com/shareprofile/indexshare.php?id=ODQzMjE=
  2. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

3. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Checked water quality and nitrate is around the 5 mark and ammonia and nitrite are close to 0. Water temp is 24-25°
  4. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    Looks like the start of hole in the head to me usually associated with water quality I fear regardless of your readings. Before you look to mess, carry out as large as possible regular water changes, check the substrate for trapped food and waste, check the flow is even throughout the tank and not leaving dead zones.......none of this will ever do any harm. If no improvement in a few days, check back in and one of the guys more up to speed on mess will give you some follow up advice.
    streety, Scorps1212 and jizzy like this.
  5. jizzy

jizzy Well-Known Member

Agree with Greg on this 1
    streety and Scorps1212 like this.
  6. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Damn. Right ok. So shall I poke the substrate all over to free any trapped crap in it before sucking it up the hose?

I'll do a big water change also.nothing has changed in the tank as in filter flow or positioning so there shouldn't be any dead spots in there that can cause harm, I hope not anyway.

It's ashame as I've had such a long period without any fish health issues.
  7. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

They can't be flesh wounds from another fish having a nip can they? That's what I originally thought when I saw them
  8. jizzy

jizzy Well-Known Member

No mate
    It does look like the start of HITH, up w/cs and monitor for a few days , if it is just bacterior nodes then it will clear up in a few days & if no change then use ether metro (from vet) or esha HEX as per dosage on bottle
  9. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Nice one. Cheers bud. I'll give that a shot and let you know how it goes
  10. hipflask

Kenya Kenya
    In a few words.....no.
  11. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

That's technically 1 word :D:D:D

Ok so it's caused by water quality. Let me run something by you, that could be related.

For quite some time now the nitrates in the water have been 60+ as I was struggling to bring it down. I'd say for a good few of months if not longer. I have now got something in the filter that is removing the nitrates. Put it in there about 3 weeks ago. In them 3 weeks the nitrates have gone from about 80 to 10-15. Could the sudden drop in nitrates cause this HITH? Or could it be as mad as the angel is used to living in water with nitrates, that now there are very little nitrates in the water, it affects the angel?

Just throwing these out there :rolleyes:
  12. hipflask

Kenya Kenya
    Any theory valid till proven otherwise but I doubt any fish "get used to" living in high nitrate water, survive maybe.
    What product did you put in? Timing sounds too close to break out not to check if anyone else has had the same problem with it.
  13. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Ok so the product is called NitraGuard nitrate remover. Advertised as the best nitrate remover on the market :confused: They're bio cubes that sit in the filters baskets.

I took a few more pics today. The white spots on her left side have gone but the spots on her right side have turned into a big flesh wound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this next pic is the blue Gourmai's that just won't leave her alone. I haven't seen them viciously attack her yet but I have seen them cornering her and constantly pestering her. The misses on the other hand had said she has seen them attack her. I don't know how fish work but do they recognise a poorly, weak fish and start attacking knowing it will find it hard to defend itself?

[​IMG]

I'm worried that she's not gunna get any better and the other fish are gunna slowly nip at her until she's dead. Not a nice way to go. Is there still hope for her or do I need to get the clove oil out :(:(:(
  14. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Never mind guys, she's gone to the clouds now. Woke up this morning and everytime she relaxed she would go belly up and start floating on top. She was still alive but not good at all. So I took her out, put her in a cup of water, added drops of clove oil and that was it :(:(:(
    Clove oil is the most humane way to kill a fish right?
  15. jizzy

jizzy Well-Known Member

Yep , sometimes its too late before we realise
  16. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Right, I've just done a bit of a clear out in the tank. I removed all plants and chucked them in the bin. I turned up the substrate releasing any trapped food or dirt. And carried out a 150 litre water change. The tank looks so bare now without the plants in it. Lol.

I have just noticed now 1 of the guppies is starting to swim vertically straight up rather than having it's body horizontally. Gunna keep an eye on it. But no signs of any white spots or marks on it yet.

Tested water again. The nitrate looks darker in the picture than it was. It matched up to between 10 and 20 on the colour chart.

[​IMG]