1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIDKA - British and International Discus Keepers Association - Error

Discussion in 'Planted & Display Tanks' started by Steve Lancashire, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Steve Lancashire

Steve Lancashire Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi All,

I am using my IPad to browse the site to look at photos, a lot of the photos have question marks in the boxes, even when they haven't when I click on them I get the error message in the title above.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Cheers

Steve
  2. mike os

mike os Administrator Staff Member

probably broken links following server move_
  3. Artur

Artur Administrator Staff Member

due to the cost we are not able to host pictures anymore, those put on the forum in the past will not be visible I'm afraid
  4. Mark Evenden

Mark Evenden BIDKA Mentor & Sponsor Staff Member

Photographs are essential for a Discus forum - not just for those who sponsor the forum but when people have "problems"
    Sevvy likes this.
  5. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    Think we can still post via a hosting site like photo bucket, Flickr etc........unless things have changed in last few weeks?
    Mark Evenden likes this.
  6. Artur

Yes, you can post photographs in many ways from now on without using server space.
    With regards to old ones I got the folder and can enable it but then we have to pay for bigger server - as far as I understand due to cost forum almost closed down. I'm not able to offer server big enough to host all the pictures server side for free.
  7. Mark Evenden

OK - so why not revive the 1 in 100's - 4 draws a year plus a couple of sponsors is £600 for funding. The draws are popular when the "prize" is fish and they are not too frequent. (monthly is too much IMO)
    mtonks, pottsy, Owl and 2 others like this.
  8. Steve Lancashire

All,

I am on the UKAPS (United Kingdom Aquatic Plant Society) Forum which hosts journals, tutorials, loads and loads of topics all to do with anything from fish, shrimps, plants, algae, water chemistry, fertilisation, you name it, it is on there, and everything is loaded with literally thousands of photographs.

The difference is that everyone who posts on the forum has either a Flickr account, a Photobucket account, a Dropbox or some other form of web based photograph and media hosting site. I have got both Flickr and a Photobucket account which are both free of charge. The difference is everyone's photos are stored / hosted on these sites, when they want to post a thread and include photographs, they write the post then copy the link location from the host site for the photos and paste it into the post. It is very simple to do once you get the hang of it.

Without wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs, is this not the way forward? Maybe Artur could contact one of the Moderators on UKAPS and get more details, but either way we need to be able to put photos on the BIDKA Forum or we may well lose support for it altogether.

I agree with Mark 4 x 1 in 100 Draws a year is enough.

Cheers,

Steve
  9. Steve Lancashire

10. jizzy

jizzy Well-Known Member

The only problem with photobucket etc is if u delete the pic from ur folder/file/phone etc it also deletes it from the post u have applied it to
  11. Steve Lancashire

Yep that's why it's free to the forum. But usually people only delete the photos from the site they are hosted on is if they run out of the free storage allocation, which not many do, then they open another account.

Steve
  12. Artur

Mark, I'm not the owner of this domain. I just helped to sort out hosting problems. For stuff with sponsoring etc. contact Mike.
  13. sumo

sumo Member

We certainly wouldn't be alone in linking to Photobucket or Flickr for photos, Steve has proven that it works. Setting up an account on one of those providers is free and takes seconds, so for people with problems etc, a good instruction sheet about which providers there are and how to set up an account and upload photos would suffice. For the rest of us, once set up we can share photos to our hearts' content, until we run out of space then create another account.

Regarding the old BIDKA photos, could they be shared on their own Photobucket or something? There was a tremendous amount of inspiration to be had by flicking back through the pics. Are there any picture ownership issues? Artur - I am happy to do the legwork on this if it is a possibility.
    Steve Lancashire likes this.
  14. Artur

The old pictures are linked with relevant post so now you can see broken image link or something similar. The only way is to put them back on the server which means buying more server space.
  15. TURKISHPAT

TURKISHPAT BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

is more server space expensive artur. im a bit thick with a lot of computer jargon and uploading pictures.
  16. Artur

240 pounds per year would cover us.
  17. Steve Lancashire

Hi Artur thanks for trying to help where you can.

£240.00 doesn't sound like a lot of money, how much cash did the 1 in 100 draw used to generate on average per draw.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that it probably generated quite a lot in the early days, but as activity on the forum has waned less and less people bought tickets so it probably wasn't worth the hassle of running it.

But the lack of activity I think is self inflicted and self perpetuating. No BIDKA show for the last two years due to no fault of Mike and everyone who ran the previous shows, but because of the lack of support from everyone including me, the lack of a suitable venue at an affordable price etc etc etc has led to the decline in activity on the forum, then the lack of funds for members to post photographs has got us to the point where we are now.

On my Photobucket account I used up all my free storage (around 10 gigabytes I think, I am not quite sure but will check) now I pay about £1.20 per month for an extra 80 gigabytes of which I have used only 18% and I will never use up the full 80%.

I don't know how many members BIDKA has in total, or out of them how many are still active, but If we asked every member to make a one off donation of say £2.00 would that cover the £240.00 needed for the extra server space for photos to be uploaded. I for one would be happy to kick it off. The only other alternative is the off site hosting on Photobucket or Flickr etc.

Good luck with it, but either way we need to sort it. We used to have a saying in the Army, 'Use it or Lose it'

Cheers,

Steve
  18. Mark Evenden

Sponsors pay £80 minimum for a year, payable in February - currently 3 sponsors - 3 x£80 = £240.00
    jizzy likes this.
  19. TURKISHPAT

TURKISHPAT BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

i dont mind donating if it will help members as pictures are always nice and easier to upload the old way.
    papasan2 and jizzy like this.
  20. JOHN .A

JOHN .A BIDKA Mentor & Show Shareholder

The usual suspects would donate
    papasan2 likes this.