1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BLUE HECKLE F1

Discussion in 'Breeding Discus' started by blueeyes, Aug 17, 2017.

1. blueeyes

blueeyes Member

Hi guys this a pair I got from a friend I was told he had had wrigglers but thats as far as they got, I have no reason to doubt him I have had two spawnings but nothing for a while now , they are just not interested tried various things but no joy, question is if I split them what % of fry will retain a good heckle bar, or give them more time
    [​IMG]
  2. David Flynn

David Flynn Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do not split. Give them more time. I assume you have tried the usual; big water changes; colder water; live food etc. Assuming your water parameters are okay. Are these F1 from wilds?
  3. blueeyes

blueeyes Member

Yes F1 from wilds and tried all the tricks, water TDS 75 ph 6.5 temp 27
  4. David Flynn

David Flynn Member

Hi. You mention a heckel bar so is this a Heckel pair or a Heckel cross?
    You also mention two spawnings; do you mean two batches of eggs that haven't produced wrigglers? Photos would be useful. Regards
  5. David Flynn

David Flynn Member

Oops didn't really look at the title of your post.
    I'm no expert but I would suggest with Heckel's you need both the PH and TDS lower. I would also increase the temperature to around 30 and give them some live food. Having said that I have 4 wild Heckel's and they just love JMC catfish pellets. I would also filter through some peat. Regards
  6. Steve Lancashire

Steve Lancashire Active Member

Liquid Vitamin E From Frank Tinnes, and the new Humin product from Discusfood in Germany. Worth a try.
  7. Steve Lancashire

Steve Lancashire Active Member

8. DiscusDirect

DiscusDirect Active Member

Whats your water change routine?
  9. blueeyes

blueeyes Member

every other day about a third but have been trying leaving longer , big change etc etc
  10. DiscusDirect

For heckles I'd recommend a maximum of 10% w/c twice a week (max), as they don't seem to respond to water changes quite like most. (Up until they lay),

Assuming that they are in a fairly large tank - I'd also suggest the addition of tannin to the water. Preferably through bog wood, but boiled alder cones can do the trick. When I had my heckles I had to make sure the tank was 'dirty' - before I could clearly see they felt safe. The tannin in the water helps with this by reducing the light penetration into the water. This was obviously for W/C heckles but F1's won't be far removed.

It would be interesting to see your setup that you have them in currently. If you can post pictures please share :):thumbup:
  11. blueeyes

blueeyes Member

At the moment they are back in a 18" cube, they were in a 50 gal with a few other adults where they constantly defended a cone so thats why I moved them , I have been feeding them white worm, daphnia (home cutured) B/H and pellet , I have added tanins and tried some minerals, my water is so soft I have to watch for PH crash, the tank they are in gets the most traffic and quite a bit of light, I might move them to the end cube which is more secluded but hate moving fish about
  12. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    They need to, and will, get used to the foot traffic, fact of your life being a priority, not theirs.
    Tannins using alder cones was my preference when I kept wilds, so can only guess F1s are similar. Always seen more pairing activity with big WCs, especially if a few degrees cooler guess it matched the change with the rainy season in the Amazon.......still, never got them to breed.
    Always preferred live brine shrimp to white worm for conditioning because I found fish became fixated on WW too much and started to refuse other foods.....jmo mind.
  13. DiscusDirect

I would work more around the size of the tank then in that case - your feeding / water etc all sound fine. Would reccomend something like a 125l. Out of interest, the person who had them before you, what tank size were they in?
  14. blueeyes

blueeyes Member

they were in a cube and a 50 gal same as me tks