1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breeding Pair causing Havoc!!!

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback & Suggestions' started by tommyk, Nov 6, 2015.

1. tommyk

tommyk New Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've got a tank of 7 Stendkers of mixed sizes/maturity. All's been well until about 3 weeks ago when the largest and one of the others larger (although still quite immature) fish paired . This caused the smaller 4 to hide away and not appear to eat. One of the pair (assumed to be male) is also very aggressive to the other large discus, who seems unfazed and gives as good as gets still eats well and does not hide away.
    The pair have spawned but the eggs disappeared after a couple of days. I've just noticed the female discus laying her eggs again on a rock but the male is eating them as soon as they pop out.
    My main question is how do I settle things down. I want the smaller fish to start feeding again as they were growing quickly and ravenous, they now just hide away and I've not seen them take food for weeks. Not so fussed at the moment about the spawning. I'm thinking if i stop that then all should return to normal?
    Would adding another large discus help?
    Any advice appreciated.
  2. Graham C

Graham C Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had similar trouble a while back. You can't really stop spawning, although I found the aggression levels reduced considerably as the fish matured a bit, further pairs formed, and territories were established. If things get too heated in my tank now I just wipe the eggs from the glass soon after they have been laid. Within 30 min everything returns to normal and peace and quiet resumes for the next week or so.