bill reminded me that i was long overdue writing this up. those around the forum long enough will remember that in late 2013 I gave up on wild discus after being one of "the dark side's" greatest supporters and promoters.......never really said why to folk on here but this was the reason. it is not meant as a cautionary tale or to frighten people away from wilds, just a record of a 4 week period that changed my perspectives on keeping wild fish. The only cautionary bit to this is that there is no happy ending here so bear that in mind as you read first off, it doesn't matter where and who i got them from, these are wild fish and for those of us who keep these you know that there is always a good chance "something" else comes with wild fish.....just did not expect this! a batch of 6 wilds arrived looking in good condition except 1 which had a swollen side with a 4mm hole just behind the pectoral fin. i did not think much more of it than it would be damage caused whilst being caught, besides the fish looked in good condition so figured this was healing. they were in a quarantine bare bottom tank so a few days later when syphoning I noticed what looked like bits of a prawn shell on the bottom of the tank. https://hipflask.smugmug.com/Aquariums/Discus-with-burrowing-isopod/n-TpmBk/i-GFbT3FH/A this looked clearly like a broken up shell casing and with the 5p as a guide to judge, it suggested whatever it was 25-30mm in size.......and whatever it was, was inside the fish! frantic internet searching and brain picking on private messages to Paul, Mike, Slacks and Bill left us with no definative culprit other than obscure references to burrowing isopods. the original links are gone but found this more recent one. http://dailyparasite.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/artystone-trysibia.html some pics and video where required to confirm this as best we could so links below are to a short video showing the swollen side, the hole and the (I still squirm at this video) wriggling legs and a clear pic showing the hole with legs protruding. https://hipflask.smugmug.com/Aquariums/Discus-with-burrowing-isopod/n-TpmBk/i-GBhjMM7/A https://hipflask.smugmug.com/Aquariums/Discus-with-burrowing-isopod/n-TpmBk/i-2Lpv6TL/A these seemed to confirm artystone T as the front runner culprit in this. the fish was segregated into a smaller tank in case the isopod was a female and it spread through the other fish that had arrived. (this was the only bit of good news with this actually, there was no sign of other infestations in any of the other fish thankfully) Much head scratching now ensued from the small band of people I had enlisted on here to help me with this. Consensus was firstly, this is a parasite, it is not in its nature to kill a host but could I live with "that" in a tank? - answer was a definite NO. So after searching online copper sulphate seemed the best option to try and kill it since crustaceans are very susceptible to it. The problem was we did not know how much was needed in the water to kill it and could not go over the limit for the fish. The added problem was if, and it was a big if, we did kill it that way it would rot away inside the fish probably causing blood poisoning so we had to plan to remove it. I have no pics of this but I tried for over a week with regular strong CS baths for the fish but the little bugger was still alive so the only alternative was to try a large direct injection of CS into the isopod when the fish was out of the water. Tools used were clean cloth for the fish to lie on whilst I worked, toothpick for teasing out the back of the isopod, gripping tweezers, pointed tweezers, syringe with CS and a magnifying glass (yes, I'm old!) the fish was transferred to a plastic food container so I could fish it out easy and work off the table. Plan was leave the fish out for as long as possible to let me pull the back end of the isopod out, inject it with an overdose of CS then remove as much of the dead isopod with the tweezers as I could. Post operation, the plan was to keep the hole from healing and flush with saline solution daily to keep it clean, again requiring the fish out of water. https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-fBcTDDc/0/XL/i-fBcTDDc-XL.jpg Whilst the fish was on the table I managed to get a good pic of the culprit in situ. https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-RZzjR4m/0/O/i-RZzjR4m.jpg Pic of injecting the CS. https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XXKK4Jf/0/XL/i-XXKK4Jf-XL.jpg Pic of isopod clearly looking blue full of CS. https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-zThNvkH/0/XL/i-zThNvkH-XL.jpg An hour later, pic of using tweezers to pull apart the now dead isopod. https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mvZhzXB/0/XL/i-mvZhzXB-XL.jpg As you can see, the operation was successful in the first phase of killing and removing the isopod. This little fish had real heart, it was out the water for around 60 secs a time and about 6 times over an hour and just bounced back each time. I was really hoping he'd pull through, he deserved it after all he had been through. I have no pics of the follow up procedure of flushing out the wound but I used a syringe with a catheter and it seemed to be going well until about the 8th day when this little guy started to darken and 2 days later it was clear he was not going to come through it and would only deteriorate further so I did the only left I could for the little guy I think I did not want to share this story at the time because I found it all quite distressing and even considered giving it all up, not just wilds. Even now looking at these pics and videos for the first time since it happened, I still find it quite difficult to process. Apologies my IT skills failed to put pics straight up. Happy to try and answer any questions anyone has.