1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crenicichla regani - dwarf pikes with fry

Discussion in 'Other Amazonian Wilds' started by dm.67, Jul 1, 2015.

1. dm.67

dm.67 Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I moved my discus on a while ago and didn't think I would get anything to properly replace them. The pikes don't really make up for them but they are a great watch with their fry:

2. allan angus

allan angus Active Member

great nice water flow looks like a fast flowing stream
    dm.67 likes this.
  3. dm.67

dm.67 Active Member

Thanks Allan. I think it is the way that the fry are moving that gives the illusion of fast flow, rather than the actual flow itself being fast.
    allan angus likes this.
  4. papasan2

papasan2 BIDKA Challenger & Show Shareholder

Nice one Dave like you I have moved some of my discus on and now have 4x geophagus surinamensis and 2 x santanoperca jurupari which are due due this week still love my Discus but I like a change and a challenge
    Stuart.
    dm.67 likes this.
  5. TURKISHPAT

TURKISHPAT BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

me too stuart i have 6 geophagus pindare in with mine get along fine until the mouthbrooding then there is world war 3 trying to stop all the fry from being live bait.
  6. papasan2

Nice one TP I will Post some pics when they have settled
    Stuart
  7. dm.67

dm.67 Active Member

The discus are still my favourites but doing 400ltr water changes everyday just took its toll in the end and there was always one that wasn't quite right. I might go back to discus in the future but I'd need to drill the tank to rig up an automated water change system.

I've also got a pair of eartheaters in the tank, Biotodoma cupido. I think the ones you both have can look really good so photos would be nice to see. As would a video of yours with their fry TP.

Because I've only got small fish in the tank the parents guarding the fry doesn't seem to create much of an issue and the only time I've seen fry become live bait was on the 2 occasions one decided to leave the shoal and swim a good distance away from the parents. There have probably been a few more losses but overall it looks promising for a reasonable number to survive. Hope that's not famous last words.
    hipflask and papasan2 like this.
  8. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    After discus and altums, SJs are my next fav cics. Such big characters and so beautiful if lit correctly they almost sparkle!
  9. papasan2

Not happy today my two so called 9cm jurupari turned up at work and were more like 4/5 cm but then found some wilds at 10 cm from a different supplier so may be happier on Tuesday
    Stuart
  10. dm.67

dm.67 Active Member

Always a bummer that. Fingers crossed for Tuesday for you. If you get let down again Pier Aquatics in Wigan have got some very nice wild Satanoperca in at the moment all at a decent size as well. They aren't labelled as jurupari, just Satanoperca species. They are definitely from the leucosticta group of which jurupari is part. So they look and should behave like jurupari, i.e. not too aggressive. If memory serves right they ranged fron 5-7inches. They had them in with some very nice royal & semi-royal wild discus that were around 6-7 inches, so careful if you take a trip there you might get swayed back to discus.