1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cyanobacteria?

Discussion in 'Planted & Display Tanks' started by papasan2, Sep 3, 2016.

1. papasan2

papasan2 BIDKA Challenger & Show Shareholder

i thought i was getting a cyno problem but after a three day black out it seems to be getting worse also it looks like some form of brown/green algae growing on the sand and is seems hairy not slimy
    it mainly grows on the new sand i have topped up in the center of the tank and this kiln dried sand is from a different supplier anyone any ideas
    thanks
    Stuart

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143806050@N07/shares/2nS7TT
  2. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    Im not the best on this but check phosphate levels, looks like a spike to me.
  3. streety

streety Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Stuart, are you high or low tech? Are you dosing Co2? I had an issue on a high tech planted that was 2ft deep. Flow wasn't high enough to get Co2 down to the bottom of the tank, the sand would get covered in algae in about 24 hours. I increased the flow and it cleared quickly, I even found I had to reduce the amount of Co2 I was dosing. Shortly after that I gave up with high tech planted, I never felt happy with the balance between fish health and vigorous algae free plant growth. That is just my ineptitude!
    James