1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Educate me.

Discussion in 'Basic Care and Husbandry' started by widcombe4, Mar 20, 2017.

1. widcombe4

widcombe4 New Member

Hi guys. I'm wondering if I can draw on your collective knowledge a little bit.
    I've kept discus in the past and I think I'm ready to start again in the next couple of weeks so I've been reading up on what's changed in the UK scene recently which is harder than I thought it would be because a lot of the info seems to be US based.
    Anyway, I paid a trip over to punchards over the weekend and his fish looked pretty good and it got me thinking. His prices are right at the top end of what I've seen elsewhere and I can understand the premium paid to any tradesman who's very good at his job but I've also heard great things about others such as chen's who are cheaper and I'm wondering if the two are really comparable or whether they are aiming at totally different markets.
    As far as I can tell chen's and several others import their fish from Asia or Germany and sell them on ( I may be wrong here, this is one of the things you can set me straight on ) whereas punchards breed their own and are involved in developing strains. How much difference does that make to the end purchaser? Am I barking up the wrong tree by even asking that?
    What I'm thinking is if I started selling beautiful Armani suits it wouldn't make me a top tailor but we're not talking about suits of course, were talking about discus.
    Also, how much of an advantage would it be to buy from punchards if, as I assume, we share the same water supply and therefore ph. Chen's being in middles ex makes me think he's using hard water in his general population tanks whereas mine is neutral.
  2. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    Both are trusted retailers, as are a few others on here like mark at DD and few trusted private breeders. Personally, I would look at their stock lists, decide what I prefer and pay the price to get what I want.
    widcombe4 likes this.
  3. Artur

Artur Administrator Staff Member

Generally discus are not the cheapest fish but that is for a reason. I breed some fish and always looking to sell them at around 3'' in size. Growing them bigger is not very economical here in UK and this is partly the answer to your question about Punchard's prices. Importers like Chens, DD and other just bring the fish and sell it quickly so they can have lower prices.
    widcombe4 likes this.
  4. JOHN .A

JOHN .A BIDKA Mentor & Show Shareholder

I think the Discus traders are a lot better than the use to be ,they are now properly quareente fish before selling them

Punchard as been in the business a long time and breeds his own Discus
    I have had a quick look at Discus prices Punchards seem about same .dont buy anything under two inch body size

DD have very good Stendker Discus all sponsors on bidka are very good
  5. larry rogers

larry rogers Member

United States United States
    widcombe4

I have bred discus since 1971, 46 years. Drawing on that experience I can tell you two things. If you are truly worried about what you are paying then perhaps you are not yet ready is the first thing. The reason for this is the second thing, discus is a market where you genuinely get what you pay for. You can go to some cheesy LFS and pay half the price and you get half the discus. They may never attain full size, or have good color when they mature. And do not even harbor the wish of them breeding true. That said a lot of breeders, like myself, grade very strictly. The top grade stock demands the price, second grade can be had cheaper, and third grade significantly cheaper, the culls we sell to your LFS. So you could stumle upon a runt in your LFS that would produce some good fry, don't hold your breath, or you could go with inferior grade fish and gamble as we do every day for some better offspring; but: if you want that stunning show tank get set up, get a quarantine set up, and prepare to put your heart in it.

Larry
    streety likes this.
  6. Artur

Artur Administrator Staff Member

This is even worse in UK. You go to LFS, pay 4 times more and getting a quarter of discus:)
    larry rogers, jizzy, streety and 2 others like this.