1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Externals v sponge filter

Discussion in 'Basic Care and Husbandry' started by mtonks, Feb 20, 2017.

1. mtonks

mtonks Member

I'm thinking of getting rid if my externals and running just sponge filters. Simply because I think it may be cleaner then externals the tank is 450 litre I run 1x 2000lph on one side and 1x1000 lph the other. Is this to much filtration?
    larry rogers likes this.
  2. Jay1

Jay1 Active Member

Why not keep your externals and run both? As long as flow rate is steady, as in your tank doesn't resemble river rapids, I think lots of filtration is fine. The bio load is spread out more, you can alternate cleaning so your bacteria cultures remain strong and if one filter breaks or needs maintenance you have plenty of back up.
  3. mtonks

mtonks Member

What I have found is I pit food in and it just goes. I think sponges may give more time fordiscus to pick at tge food.
    larry rogers likes this.
  4. Jay1

Jay1 Active Member

If your externals are sucking up uneaten food, have you tried putting sponges over the intakes? Works like a mini pre filter and cuts down massively on maintenance. Just squeeze them off regularly to keep the flow rate up.
    larry rogers and jizzy like this.
  5. larry rogers

larry rogers Member

United States United States
    mtonks

If you are using cubed or frozen foods try plastering them to the glass away from lift tubes. If you constanly use the same spot discus will become accustomed to feeding station and you will catch them hovering waiting for meal time.

Larry
  6. mtonks

mtonks Member

Hi mate yea I didn't think of this even tho I have done it before. Thanks for tge reminder :).
    larry rogers likes this.
  7. TURKISHPAT

TURKISHPAT BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

8. larry rogers

larry rogers Member

United States United States
    Hi guys

First, there is no such thing as too much filtration, too much flow is another thing altogether. When adjusting flow keep in mind that many of your fish come from some of the fastest flowing waters in the world. And sponge pre-filters absolutely make sense, especially on brood tanks. You will catch fry hovering around pre-filters for snacks and the load taken off the main filter media is both biologically and economically significant.

Larry