1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum clousure :(

Discussion in 'Our Community' started by Artur, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Artur

Artur Administrator Staff Member

Seen the announcement.

Is there something we can do? I work for a website company as well as freelancer and maybe I could help.
    I would need to have some info from admins about size of the forum/database to find out about possible hosting solution if the cost of server is the main reason of closing
    simonas, Jay1, drake and 1 other person like this.
  2. Artur

So far not heard from anyone.

So maybe lets see hom many people would like to keep the forum alive.
    Please respond here if you are in.
  3. Slackey

Slackey Administrator Staff Member

It is not just down to the costs anymore unfortunately.

Yes the cost is prohibitive and the main factor in this decision, but over and above that is time.

Mike is unable to continue running the Forum, Greg is also finding it increasingly more difficult to find the time and as for me I have not been as active for a long time now due to family commitments, heavy workload and being a single parent of two kids.

Time is a big factor, if the forum is to remain it requires someone with the time and dedication to run it. As we have found with previous attempts to put on a Discus Show finding people to commit is increasingly difficult.

Your offer is appreciated no end but without a team of staff it's difficult to see this moving forward.
    Mark Evenden likes this.
  4. Artur

I run fishing forums in the past and fishkeeping forums as well - and from my experience with the small number of posts we are having here now you really need 10 minutes a day to keep it running.
  5. pottsy

pottsy Well-Known Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is there enough interest from other members to take the forum on ?
    I for one have time, how many more are interested and are committed to keep it going.

Could this be looked into ? A discussion maybe.

I do understand the problem regarding the show, again this is a sad state of affairs, but with family commitments etc sometimes it is difficult to synchronise holidays from work around venues and other members.

If there is a way to keep this great forum going I do feel that options should be considered. JMHO
  6. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    This is really difficult for everyone, staff past and present, long term members and newly joined.......Bidka has always been more than the sum of its individual parts because the ethos based on the motivation of Paul, Mike and slacks years ago was based on free membership, two main goals of openly sharing knowledge/experience and putting on the best regular discus shows possible. That is why, when I joined it was the biggest most active discus forum this side of the Atlantic.
    I have no doubt that the growth on FB of discus pages, pages mainly run by those with invested interests in the pages, has played a major role in the decline of Bidka over the last 3 or 4 years. Not being on FB and therefore not having any interest in it I honestly did not see the danger of that impact coming.
    Mike has spilled real sweat, real blood and at times, yes real tears to try and keep this forum going but the lack of active members really became evident the twice we tried to arrange a show. On both occasions we had no more than a handful of volunteers (including staff) when a team of near 20 would be minimum to put on a show. I doth my cap to the man for staying as positive as he did through the last 2 years or so!
    That said, if Mike thought that someone did have a viable plan to move Bidka forward then I'm sure he would listen to the plan, including handing the reins over to new blood but as it stands, the activity of the forum is so low that the financial viability of continuing does begin to be prohibitive to any progression IMO.
  7. Artur

I would simply keep the forum running for sake of amout of information which is already here.
    With so low activity of the forum it can be run on shared hosting with no problem - I can provide it - FREE
    Mark Evenden, Jay1, drake and 4 others like this.
  8. Slackey

Ok so time is tight, I am concerned that if left to the last minute the hosting will not be able to be moved and everything will disappear forever.

Artur if you can host for free even if only for a short time that may allow us to buy some time and formulate a plan for a way forward.

I will remain on board (for what it's worth) and help with the Admin where I can.

I can discuss this with Mike if needs be but we must act fast, I believe the current hosting expires 10July
    Mark Evenden, Jay1, Gavin and 2 others like this.
  9. pottsy

pottsy Well-Known Member

Count me in. I have had a number of members contact me today wanting to remain in contact in one form or another. If there is any way we can keep this going it's got to be better than closing the forum. There is a wealth of information held on this forum and it would be a real shame for it to be lost forever.
    Ady34, Mark Evenden and jizzy like this.
  10. Artur

Just do the backup of everything then - i.e. files and database. Ideally if I could have access to the server and then I would be able to download everything to my work computer - then upload it from there to the new server. If the database is really big I might need to be downloading some tables separately rather then just the whole thing in one go.
    Ady34, Mark Evenden, Jay1 and 6 others like this.
  11. simon marshall

simon marshall Moderator & BIDKA Mentor Staff Member

I am happy to continue in my current capacity.we will need a strong/ patient team to continue the great work from Paul then Mike. Short term quick pace is needed to save what we have.

There needs to further discussions on progression long term for the forum.

Think now is the time to stand up and be counted or we lose the lot !
    Mark Evenden, Jay1, Graham C and 6 others like this.
  12. JOHN .A

JOHN .A BIDKA Mentor & Show Shareholder

I am happy to continue as a mentor.It would be a shame to loose all the information that as been gathered .
    Jay1, jizzy and papasan2 like this.
  13. simon marshall

simon marshall Moderator & BIDKA Mentor Staff Member

And there we have it !!!!!!!!!!! No commitments No responses = NO BIDKA.
  14. Artur

I'm in touch with Mike who should supply me server details tonight. We will take backups and nothing will be lost. There might be temporary downtime to the website due to moving to new server but we will try to do this as smoothly as possible. Backing up everything before current hosting package expires is priority now, as then we will be recreate the site on new server.
    kipper51, Ady34, Mark Evenden and 6 others like this.
  15. JOHN .A

JOHN .A BIDKA Mentor & Show Shareholder

Thanks Artur
    As Simon says get involved ,you dont have to be a expert.
    kipper51 likes this.
  16. TURKISHPAT

TURKISHPAT BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

if there is anything i can do to help get in touch im no expert on computers but am willing to learn.
    kipper51 and Mark Evenden like this.
  17. Slackey

I will be staying as Admin, as will Greg (at least I think he is :eek: )

Hopefully we will be up and running on a new server in a few days at minimal (zero) cost.

Hats off to Artur for this.

However if you want BIDKA to survive you need to get involved or this will happen again and next time we may not be so lucky
    kipper51, Mark Evenden, drake and 4 others like this.
  18. pottsy

pottsy Well-Known Member

As I stated earlier, count me in.:thumbup:
    kipper51, hipflask and Slackey like this.
  19. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    You don't get rid of me that easy mister S ;)
    Yes, this has been a close call if the transfer goes through ok. I am, and have been since joining the staff group, fully committed to Bidka so will be delighted to help however I can during this time of transition. What comes next none of us know......but anything has to be better than oblivion!
    Oh and "hats off" does not begin to pay homage to Artur for his willingness to commit to this.
  20. Graham C

Graham C Active Member

As above, great effort Artur. Always enjoyed your posts, but this is exceptional! If there's anything I can do then give me a shout. I'm not an IT guy, but happy to help in any way I can.
    kipper51 likes this.