1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golden Rams

Discussion in 'Disease and Illness' started by peterhill26, Nov 12, 2016.

1. peterhill26

peterhill26 Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have had 2 Golden Rams and both died the same way one about 3 months ago and the other is very much the same as the first one that died. Both of them have a blown up belly what could this be? Blockage or is it Swim Bladder
    They borth about 6 months old but the first one only lasted about 3 months is this a common problem ?
  2. jizzy

jizzy Well-Known Member

Rams are very greedy & will eat untill they pop
    Could quite possably ov been bloat or swim bladder as there both connected
  3. peterhill26

peterhill26 Member

what other Rams would you say i could put into my Discus Tank
    All my parameters are very good KH 4 PH 6.8 Nitrite 0ppm ammonia 0ppm Nitrate 10ppm - 20ppm And I do a W/C 10% Daily also my Tap water is all very good.
    So what would you say is the best Rams to go in to my Discus Tank.Temp is 29c.
  4. jizzy

jizzy Well-Known Member

German blue Rams are nice but as like all Rams if they pair up & spawn will get very teratorial & could cause havok
  5. peterhill26

peterhill26 Member

Thank You for your reply.
  6. Steve Lancashire

Steve Lancashire Active Member

I saw some German Blue Rams yesterday, I would love to put them in my tank with the wild discus, but put off by Jizzy's post about them being territorial when they breed and could cause havoc. But they are beautiful stunningly coloured fish.

I had to grab myself by the throat and drag my a£&@ out of there:confused:

How would it be if you only put a couple of males in together, or just females for that matter, there would be no breeding so no need to get territorial???

Just a thought.

Steve
  7. mtonks

mtonks Member

I use previously done this with just adding females worked fine. only problem I had I they didn't last over 16 months. not sure why I had 6. possibly bad stock or they weren't the biggest fans of constant water change.

Any way ye females only worked no real territorial behaviour.

I personally wouldn't go for males only as I believe they could become aggressive towards each other.

Before I tried females only I had a 5 females 1 male and when they were spawning they were a nightmare.
  8. Steve Lancashire

Cheers mtonks, good to know it worked anyway. 16 months is not too bad all things considered. I think I will give it a miss personally I just need to avoid looking at them next time I go in to the LFS near me. Plus it is tough enough keeping wild discus without complicating things further.

Steve
  9. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    I would go sterbs, ottos and cards for a true wild look with wild discus Steve, can't be beat IMO.
  10. Steve Lancashire

Got the ottos and sterbai, giving the cardinals a miss this time around. Reason being is that the discus are the stars of the show and I don't want anything to distract from that.

Steve
    hipflask likes this.
  11. larry rogers

larry rogers Member

United States United States
    16 months means stock was healthy to begin with. Three things are the usual culprits for rams; substrate, dinoflagellates, and contamination of the substrate. Rams, microgeophagus, are substrate feeders. they require a patch of sand that they can shift for food and food to make it to the bottom where they can feed at their leisure. By the same token if their feeding grounds become contaminated it creates a great risk to their. This contamination can be in the form of cross-contamination; parasites imported with new plants, snails or fish; or the substrate becoming fouled by waste not vacuumed out. Rams are greedy feeders but swollen bellies usually mean parasites have effected the kidneys.
    peterhill26 likes this.