1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello everyone - Discus Fert Questions and other stuff!

Discussion in 'Planted & Display Tanks' started by Coops, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Coops

Coops New Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,
    Just returning to fishkeeping after a loooong break.

I have a Juwel 450l low tech planted tank. Planted with vallis, ferns, anubis some crypts etc and alot of floating salvinia.

I'm after some advice on fertilizer. The tank was initally setup with a bunch of angel fish at 27C to miminc the bioload of discus...hence why starting out with just 3 adult discus! :p

I put the discus in Saturday after removing angels friday. They settled straight away and swim and shoal all over. Love these Stendkers!!

However on day 3 I noticed some cloudy eye here and there. Tested water, Nitrites nil...only test kit I have. 2 x 30% WC since and fish still swimming around looking great.

Now here is the thing...at everywater change i normally add Seachem Prime as a conditioner, happy to use something else! I also add TNC complete...but held off this time as it contains nitrates! They do a TNC Lite which does not, so will get some of that. ....then I though, well the Seachem detoxifies nitrates....just noticed the connection.

Any thoughts?

Doing another water change later...treated water, same temp from a fresh water butt.

Stendker say just 10% a week for 12 discus and companion fish in a 180l tank!!! Comments on that too please, although they are the experts.

Thanks, sorry for long post.
  2. Coops

Coops New Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    oh and I know 3 is verrry low I was planning to add more later from the same source etc. They are not really eating much, but enthusastic about feeding time, just do not like my beef heart, so have ordered Stendkers from DD.