1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to treat a skinny discus

Discussion in 'Disease and Illness' started by Amy, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Amy

Amy New Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all

I've been keeping fish for around 20 years and I've recently gone back to Discus after dabbling unsuccessfully with them a few years ago due to my tank being too small. I bought them from a very reputable UK supplier and I've been extremely happy with them. However, one of the 8 discus started to look very skinny around 8 weeks ago. It is still eating although its appetite has lessened in the last 2 days. It is also starting to turn dark on occassions. Unfortunately another Discus now seems to be heading this way too with the same symptoms. I have treated with Wormer Plus with no difference.

Stats - 450 litre tank,
    8 adult discus
    ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 15ppm
    temp - 28 degrees celsius
    50% weekly water change with RO water
    fed twice a day with Stendker beefheart

Unfortunately, since buying from a LFS around 15 years ago, I have noticed fish of various breeds becoming skinny and then dying after a long period of time. This seems to be no different. I'm really worried it may be fish TB but I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong. I don't think these Discus are too far gone to be saved - the knife ridge is not very prominent so I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for everyone's help
    Amy
  2. matt19852011

matt19852011 Active Member

Personally i would turn the temperature up to 32, and up your water changes to 2 50% a week and see if that helps
  3. JOHN .A

JOHN .A BIDKA Mentor & Show Shareholder

4. Amy

Amy New Member

Brilliant, thank you both so much for your advice. They are both still feeding but I can't see any improvement yet and their colour isn't good at times. How long should I keep the temperature at 32? Is it dangerous to keep it that high for too long?

The later affected fish had a poo this morning and it was very red - not stringy or white, so I don't know what to make of that. I'm wondering if varying their food will help too but they won't take any flake or Prima. They take beefheart from my fingers readily but they won't even touch bloodworm as the occasional treat.
  5. matt19852011

matt19852011 Active Member

I would leave it for a week or 2, if you have tetras in with the discus they might struggle with that temp. If poo is red i wouldnt be to worried at the moment, are they be├Čng bullied or bottom of the pecking order ?