1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to treat a skinny discus

Discussion in 'Disease and Illness' started by Amy, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Amy

Amy New Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Steve

Thanks so much for your reply - I must admit that I stopped checking back after it went a little quiet.

You're right unfortunately - I lost both fish a few weeks after my initial post. In the last few days I've also noticed another fish going in the same direction so I'm absolutely desperate to get this sorted - I will not be buying any more fish until it's sorted, so at the rate this is going I can see me shutting the tank down which is so upsetting.

I have absolutely no idea what to do. I'm happy to try anything, but also feel I that using various medications can do more harm than good. I've thought of sending this current fish to an expert for a post mortem to find a concrete cause, as horrible as that is.

I've looked at the Bilocil and it looks good. I've not seen any evidence of gill flukes though (no flaring or clamped gills). I'm assuming the Kusuri Wormer Plus would have treated these too? So are you thinking it's a tapeworm problem? I've done some research and I'm also considering Spironucleus and Hexamita.

I can see what you're saying about Beefheart and it echoes my doubts before being 'reassured' it was fine. I tried weaning them onto dried foods (Tetra Prima) a few months back, but after 10 days of not even so much as a sniff, I bottled it and started back on the Beefheart. Thanks for posting your recipe above - I will give it a go.

Thanks so much for the advice - it's greatly appreciated!
    Amy
  2. Amy

Amy New Member

Oh, I forgot to say, I noticed a suspect poop from one of the other Discus today-it was red/black in parts but also had sections which were transparent and jelly-like. I don’t know if this lends itself more to internal parasites or hexamita/spironucleus.
  3. Steve Lancashire

Steve Lancashire Active Member

Hello,

Steve Lancashire, Jim Simmons, John Ashfield Lars Roald Johannsen, Line Saeter, and I would like to personally invite you to the newly formed Facebook Group B.I.D.K.A 2, formerly a web based forum.

At its height, the original B.I.D.K.A web forum had 6,005 members worldwide. Sadly the demise of web based forums and several failed attempts to host The British Discus Show over the past few years, led to it's demise.

Our intention is to revive the original B.I.D.K.A reputation and give our members the opportunity to help us achieve that aim. With time, we may be able to revive the will and enthusiasm to host a British Discus Show.

Please feel free to have a look around, and if you like what you see and would like to join us on the journey, we would be very happy to welcome you into B.I.D.K.A 2.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/282706469124539?ref=bookmarks&_rdr
  4. Amy

Amy New Member

Hi Steve

Thanks for the invite - I have applied to join and would love to see BIDKA revive.

I've taken your advice on-board and bought some Bilocil so I will let you know how I get on. If you have any thoughts on my last posts or further advice it would be great to hear from you.

Many thanks
    Amy