1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jewel rio 400

Discussion in 'Planted & Display Tanks' started by mtonks, Dec 30, 2016.

1. mtonks

mtonks Active Member

Hi all,
    Today I had the go ahead to get a jewel rio 400, 450 litre tank.

I will either buy 2 inch discus for this or try and breed my own and grow them out in it.

I will eventually make it a planted tank (when fish are bigger that is) I'm thinking of starting of with 15 or so and keeping around 6-8 of tge best looking ones. Is this a good number?

Also what type of filtration should I use? I've been using sumps for the last few years so am unsure about which external. Also should it be bare bottom or sand to start with?
    And water changes how much recommended per day?

Any additional advice would be brilliant.

Many thanks
    M
  2. Steve Lancashire

Steve Lancashire Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The missus gave in then:chuckle:

6 to 8 adult discus would be my choice, far less stress and hassle than growing on juveniles in it unless you are retired and can spend all your time devoted to raising them.

I had a fully planted discus high tech tank with ADA Substrate, CO2 injection, dry fertilisers the Full Monty. In the end it became too difficult to manage so I had to make a decision, Discus or Plants. In the end I compromised. I drained and emptied the tank, cleaned it out, added an inch of JBL Sansibar River Sand, and planted a few big Amazon Sword plants into glass storage jars. Now I have still got the plants but it is easier to vacuum the fish poo out and maintain excellent water quality.

In my view sumps are a PITA so I have two externals, an Eheim Professional 2 and an Eheim 650 Thermal, and low tech LED subdued Lighting.

I do a 40 to 50% water change twice a week. So far so good.

For full details check the link below to the United Kingdom Aquatic Plant Society website for my journal "The Full Monty"

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-full-monty-has-left-the-building-last-photos.33594/

Steve
  3. JOHN .A

JOHN .A BIDKA Mentor & Show Shareholder

Mature the tank and get your Discus from the same supplier .Bare bottom best if you want to breed them.
  4. mtonks

mtonks Active Member

Brilliant read Steve, enjoyed it
    Steve Lancashire likes this.
  5. mtonks

mtonks Active Member

Not wanting to breed in this tank, I have around 200 fry in another tank at the moment so will likely use some of those.
    And yes I'd use the same supplier. This is just going to be a display
  6. Steve Lancashire

Steve Lancashire Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks, sorry there were some photos missing, Photobucket memory capacity was reached some time ago.

Steve