1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keetchy's first tank in 6 years

Discussion in 'Planted & Display Tanks' started by Scorps1212, May 9, 2015.

1. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hey dudes and dudettes

My tank is only at setting up stage at the moment so bare with us on this one. It's gunna be a long winded thread. But I thought I'd start from the start so I can get tips and advice from you guys as I go along. I dont want to rush this one as I rushed my last one years ago and discus were unhappy.

The picture is the tank as soon as I got it home. 1200x550x750 holding 400l of water. And it's bloody heavy.

Since I got it home I have removed the backing and taken out all the gravel and cleaned the whole thing out as well as the external filter. Which is a Rena.

So......my plans.......originally wanted to pain the back black, but got informed on another thread that that could possibly lead to peppering. So I was going to paint it light blue. Then I started looking at members pictures of their tanks and noticed so many of you guys have black background and your fish are stunning with no peppering. So now I don't know. Really wanna go with black though cause I think it makes the plants stand out really nice.

I have got JBL substrate to put in and then if I need to top up the height a bit, I will stick Argos play sand on top.

Then finish it off with a load of Bogwood, plants and rocks. And of course.. ........fish.

[​IMG]

More pictures as I go along. Next one should hopefully be later on today.
  2. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Well time for a little update. Got home from work this morning and added the substrate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way to work today I picked up a tin of black tile paint and 2 bags of Argos play sand. Going to get next bits done Monday during the day.
  3. jizzy

jizzy Well-Known Member

Imo u need to deside which will be the eye catcher of the tank , the Discus or the plants
    Also remember the more decor/ plants u have in the tank the harder it will be to keep clean ;)
  4. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Yeah I'll keep that In mind. Thanks mate. I'm not gunna go too mad with the plants and wood, but would like some in there.
  5. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

By the way, I know some discus pepper and some don't, but what is it about dark colours that makes them pepper? Can't find an explanation anywhere on the net.
  6. Sevvy

Sevvy Active Member

The simple answer is nobody knows what causes this, but what they do know is the pb strains are most likely to suffer this problem.
  7. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Bloody typical. I really like the idea of black background and I also like pigeon bloods. Hate decisions like this. Lol
  8. Sevvy

Sevvy Active Member

If you decide you want to keep PG's then go for a lighter background,
  9. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Another colour i Was thinking of is a blue but more of a dark blue than the blue you get in fish shops. I have seen a members tank on here with a dark blue background that I kinder like the look of. If I post a link up to the type of blue I would like, you guys let me know if it'll be light enough for PBs?
  10. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Here is the blue I was thinking of

[​IMG]
  11. JohnnyDiscus

JohnnyDiscus Well-Known Member

Far Too dark IMO for PB's. I have a far lighter mid blue background and 2 PB's
    From Francis, both now have peppering. The peppering does not bother me as long as my fish are healthy but understand that most will wish to avoid it.
    Jay1 likes this.
  12. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

So lighter than that background has still caused peppering? Ah man. Ok cool. I think I might have to sacrifice getting PBs. What other discus are known to suffer from peppering with dark backgrounds?
  13. JohnnyDiscus

JohnnyDiscus Well-Known Member

As far as my knowledge takes me it's normally PB strains. I have P Eruptions, Raffleasias, Turks, Cobalts, Super Red Melons and Yellow Diamonds. Only PB's have developed peppering in my tanks.
  14. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Ah thats not too bad at all then. I might get a couple of PBs cause i do like them and hope for the best. As long as peppering doesnt affect their health then ill be happy.
  15. JOHN .A

JOHN .A BIDKA Mentor & Show Shareholder

You can get a plastic background peel the backing paper off and stick to the back of the tank. If you get fed up with colour you can peel it off.
  16. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Yeah that is an option. But i dont think i would like a light blue colour as the background. Not saying it looks rubbish cause it dont, so please dont get offended all you guys that have light blue backgrounds, but its just not what i fancy, i wouldnt get that WOW factor when i looked at my tank.

I have had a black background with black subsrtate before and i really liked the look of it. This time im trying black background with yellow sand.
  17. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Another update. Back is painted black and sand is on top of substrate. Heater in place. Filter in place with inlet and outlet pipes there too. Had a right nightmare getting the sucker pads to stay to the glass. Had to leave them in boiling water a couple of times before they would stick.

Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday the bogwood will arrive so I can get some water in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that I have had the light on, I'm seeing so many scratches on the front of it. I'm just hoping the water will hide most of them cause it looks crap at the moment.
  18. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Bogwood has arrived today. Lovely pieces too. I'm happy with them. All I need now is plants, water and fish. Not going to go with any rocks. Think it's packed out enough with the wood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Well......she's all filled up and cycling. Erm.......how long exactly does the wood take to sink? Lol. And the filter is a lot louder than I thought it would be. Might have to invest in a new one. Unless buying a new propeller will quieten it down. I'll try to get a recording up so you guys can see how loud it is.
  20. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member