1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Discus Tank

Discussion in 'Our Community' started by DavidR, Jan 15, 2015.

1. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Good Afternoon,

This isn't my first time hear but hopefully this time it will be with a great deal more success!
    I have had tropical fish all my life and recently purchased a RIO 400 which is currently sitting clean & empty in my front room!
    I am going to take the dive and get the bug but first want a few tips and pointers!

Sorry for all the questions but here goes...

As this is in the front room of my two bedroom flat I unfortunately cant have a quarantine tank, so would people advise to having discus only and stocking all at once?

Also the wife is against the BB look so am thinking about sand and some bogwood with the possibility of a few plants, my fear with a planted aquarium is that I really want to make sure the discus work and am worried that having live plants will add another thing for me to think about... but I firmly believe that discus deserve more then plastic plants so that is a definite no-no... any advice? on this also what do people find best for a 'background' ?

last one (for now ) is water. Is a RO unit necessary? or a HMA? as stated I am slightly limited to space so cant store huge amounts of water all the time so need to figure out the best way to make it work....

thanks guys!!
  2. Stephen Morris

Stephen Morris Active Member

image.jpg :w: And good luck, no quarantine, your best bet is stocking all at once or play Russian roulette like a lot of us who lack space, I would go with well washed sand and pre soaked bog wood and let discus be the stars of the tank and maybe add plants later when you get into your routine, I have HMA unit from Mark and fill straight from my HMA hose to tank watching temperature I have a slimline 3d background remember over filtrate.
    Jock likes this.
  3. Matt Owen

Matt Owen Active Member

:w: David,
    I'll tell you what I have currently I'm sure others will give even better advice as I'm a novice (august) when it comes to discus here goes.
    Sand - argos play pit sand £3 for 10 kilos bargain
    Bogwood-3 large pieces
    Plants - 6 large amazon swords
    Background - solid black although a lot of members prefer the solid blue
    R\of or hma - hma has no waste involved when you switch the filter on its ready to use immediately whereas r\o produces approximately 6ltrs of waste for every 1ltr of r\of water produced, if you live in a hard water area and are not planning on breeding Asian discus you can keep any discus using an hma
  4. Aberdeen John

Aberdeen John Active Member

Hi David, here is my tank, i like you have just returned to the hobby after some years out, this is my tank sitting (into 3rd week of cycling) and i have all you wanted ALL THE PLANTS ARE PLASTIC, i to am running my HMA straight into tank for water changes so no buckets of water sitting around ageing, but if the plants are a bit much when i get my fish, easy ill remove them and no problems with water quality :+)

Attached Files:

5. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I have used Argos play sand before so no what to do there, can't believe I ever bought to be honest! Ahaha.
    I like the tank Steven how many litres is it? In regards to filters I planned on 2x2000lph canisters which leads me to my next lot of questions. Uv or not uv as Shakespeare would have said... And I see so many conflicting views about carbon as well... I don't plan on breeding as I don't have the space so is my hard water good to go straight from the HMA? I can install a filter about 6foot from the tank in an airing cupboard so that could work well... Do you need to treat HMA or just go straight to tank? I have two large pieces of bog wood from an old tank that I plan on soaking and putting on so may get some more. I would like plants as stated but they need to be quite low maintenance... Don't fancy fertiliser and all that really...

In regards to stocking I would to add some cardinals and some Coriebut if I can't get them from the discus breeder I have in mind then I dont know... Don't fancy Russian roulette haha

Thanks guys
  6. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

That is looking good John. How big is your tank? What temp is the HMA straight from filter? Will this not cause an issue in the future once discus our enjoying their new home?
  7. Aberdeen John

Aberdeen John Active Member

Hi glad you like the tank, it's only 4ft Roma 240 i have a 3way thermal valve attached to my hot and cold water pipes under sink, so the water comes out to what ever temp you set the valve too :+), and i am not expecting to have to take out the plants, but its an option without a heap of mess is i do, i do water change from a hose 15ft long from the tank straight out the patio doors into a down pipe, so no buckets for water in or out :+).
    and had great success last time round with my discus and that too was as i have set up today, only thing wrong with the pic i put on is the tank was still full of air bubbles so tank does not look as good in the pic, but I'm not looking to do anything, but have a nice looking tank IN THE MEAN TIME, but if in the future i want to do a bit of breeding then EVERYTHING OUT THE TANK lol
  8. Matt Owen

Matt Owen Active Member

If you don't plan on breeding then Asians will be fine but germans (stendker) will be happier in the long run in the hard water. No need to treat it just run straight into the tank I don't have a mixer on mine I just run it straight into the tank cold but I run it in slowly the temp drops by 2 degrees. On the fish I have a mixture of cardinals and rummy nose about 70 in total some rams some plecs and various corrys I added them all before the discus just after I finished cycling the tank
  9. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

not planning on breeding so not really worried about that, i suppose using HMA straight from the filter will be great for water changes so going to use that idea, had a car smash a few months ago and done my back so the less 25ltr drums the better!!! so Matt you stocked with tetras etc and before discus? and i take it no issues... how do you find maintenance with your tank? do you have a lot of waste? thanks for all your help.
  10. Matt Owen

Matt Owen Active Member

No issues when I added the discus the idea with adding the other fish first was to finish maturing the filters off before adding the discus,as for maintenance it's fine I have a hand made vacuum that I use every night I change about 10% a day then I do a 50-60% change once a week which takes about 8 hours I drain the water from the tank using a length of garden hose straight down the downstairs toilet then I simply run the hma straight from the filter in the kitchen into the tank I run it slowly as to not affect the temp too much although my discus seem to like the lower temp as they swim directly under the hma pipe!!!
  11. magicfish

magicfish Active Member

Hi David I am fairly new here. My tank is BB with a couple of pieces of bog wood which I put plants in also I planted up small plant pots. This way I can remove everything to give a thorough clean and is easier to maintain the plants
  12. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

Hi Matt, thanks for your help, just a quick one. do you know 1, how much affect HMA has on PH, GH & KH of your tap water so like before & after? (I may be missing the point obviously...) also how many LPM is your filter? I have seen the DD HMA Filters do just under 4LPM but think if i am changing out 100L is there any way to do it faster? now thinking about it i suppose doing it slightly slower would benefit fish as would allow a more gradual increase/decrease in temperature? the mind is ticking away.... not sure if i am going to get any work done today! just planning and scheming :):)

Hi Magic, i know what you mean about BB and cleaning etc. however as stated the wife would go nuts is i went BB. she has very reluctantly let me put this tank in the front room but only on the condition that it looks like a wonderful showpiece display tank. I think in a few months once the tank is stocked and running she will also catch the bug but patience is the order of the day here...

thanks for all your help guys.
    Aberdeen John likes this.
  13. Matt Owen

Matt Owen Active Member

Hma doesn't affect the hardness of the water in any way it only removes the heavy metals I have a 10 inch hma which runs up to about 2lpm I work funny shifts so I have plenty of time to fill the tanks,if you can run a tmv valve so the hma water comes out of the filter at 30° mark at dd sells a 20 inch hma that will run at 7lpm but I wouldn't recommend using it if your running just cold water you'll shock the hell out of your fish!!!
  14. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

hi matt, cant really run TMV unfortunately... maybe in the future I can sort something out. I think I will get the small HMA Unit as you say i dont want to shock the fish by putting in too much too quickly. roll on pay day then the HMA, filters are being ordered! cant wait ;)
  15. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

just grabbed this off of the interweb... now if this is right that means my water is very hard....

HARD WATER
    The area supplied by Affinity Water has 'hard' water. The hardness occurs naturally and is characterised by the presence of high levels of calcium and magnesium, which are good for healthy teeth and bones.
    CALCIUM139 mg/l
    Calcium is the principal constituent of hardness.
    TOTAL HARDNESS348 mg/l
    Total hardness is usually expressed in terms of calcium carbonate and is measured in milligrammes per litre (mg/l) or parts per million (ppm). The recognised classification scheme we are using is: 0-75 soft, 76-150 moderately hard, 151-300 hard, 300+ very hard. Your water is very hard.
    Degrees English (or Clarke)24
    This hardness measurement is used on some British appliances.
    Degrees German19
    This is used on some German appliances.
    Degrees French35
    This is used on some French appliances.
    MILLIMOLS3.5 mmol/l
    Millimols per litre. Some appliances refer to water hardness in millimols per litre (mmol/l).
    FLUORIDE0.137 mg/l
    Fluoride naturally occurs in the water in many areas. Affinity Water does not add any fluoride to your water. Fluoride is measured in milligrammes per litre (mg/l).
  16. Matt Owen

Matt Owen Active Member

Sounds pretty much the same as mine the tds on my tap water is 350 it's very hard but the German fish are fine even Asians will be fine it's just that if your thinking of breeding in the future the eggs of the Asians won't hatch in the hard water!
  17. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

ok, so stick to stendkers and I should be good?
  18. Matt Owen

Matt Owen Active Member

Yeah I'm in London and your not gonna get much harder than that and my stendkers are as happy as Larry!!!!
    DavidR likes this.
  19. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

Hi Matt, thanks for all your help mate. Straight HMA is the way to go. were did you get your Stendkers from? I live in Hemel Hempstead now but come from the big smoke originally...
  20. Steve Dawes

Steve Dawes Well-Known Member

Mark Evenden at Devotedly Discus is the UK's top supplier of Stendker discus and does a postal delivery service so he will be able to sort you out with whatever you are looking for.