1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raising Money for BIDKA - Optional Site Supporter

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback & Suggestions' started by JohnnyDiscus, Mar 12, 2014.

1. JohnnyDiscus

JohnnyDiscus Well-Known Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In a recent thread concerning the March 1 in 100, Carl Heaton put forward what I thought was a fantastic suggestion as copied below.

“I am also a keen angler and on some of the forums I frequent you can become a site supporter which costs £10 a year , there is quite a few members on this forum so that would fetch a few quid in every year , sorry to repeat if its been mentioned before”

I have posted it again in it's own thread so we did not lose this gem and I wonder if the administration team would consider this and let us know if it is something that can be progressed. If the donation was optional and the set up cost was low, it would seem to have real potential?
    Nick Doody and Sean like this.
  2. Merv

Merv Active Member

I will, seems a "No brainer"

Merv
  3. Jock

Jock Active Member

It's up to Mike and co! But sounds a good idea to me. So I'd be in:thumbup:
  4. hipflask

hipflask Admin Without A Clue Staff Member

Kenya Kenya
    some forums do use "premium" membership as a means to raise money. Nothing is forever but the ethos at BIDKA has always been for an open membership forum whilst using the 1-100s to raise the money needed to keep the forum going.
    brent, mike os and kevrob17 like this.
  5. Slackey

Slackey Administrator Staff Member

Problem with this is some members can feel pressured into subscribing and those that subscribe can (in some cases) look down on those non subscribers as lesser mortals.

Keep BIDKA free and if you feel that you want to help and support then just make use of the donation button (you could even just do that once a year and donate what you suggest as a subscription) or buy tickets for the draws ;)
  6. simon marshall

simon marshall Moderator & BIDKA Mentor Staff Member

[quote Keep BIDKA free and if you feel that you want to help and support then just make use of the donation button (you could even just do that once a year and donate what you suggest as a subscription) or buy tickets for the draws ;)[/quote]

Have to agree 100% with this, the forum is a free resource and many people use day in day out, if there was a charge then we would loose people to other sites and this could massively impact on our ability to hold people. The issues with I am a paid member but your not does arise as I have seen on other sites. This does not mean to say that the Forum does not require financial support as we all know nothing is free in this world so if you feel you would like to support then whack the donate button and rest assured that the donation will be very much appreciated by all that use Bidka.

One thing I would also like to ask is any additional ideas of fund raisers are more than welcome so please do keep them coming, an idea a just a thought, but one shared can grow and grow with lots of minds developing it !
    hipflask likes this.
  7. JohnnyDiscus

I do understand the need to remain open and inclusive and accept the views from our administrators.

The reason for posting this in the first place was really two fold.

1. To ensure funds are available to keep BIDKA ticking over. In reality, I know that the 1-100’s should more cover this.

2. To raise funds for the next BIDKA show, which from previous postings will require an upfront deposit of a few thousand for a venue and could cost £10K overall.

At the end of the day, I know we are all trying to help but I don’t think just having a donate button will raise the kind of money that will be required. IMHO it will need a targeted appeal to kick things off and maintain momentum. Hence I thought that site supporter would be an easy way to bring money in. If there is a hang up on the name call it whatever, Show donator, show madman, show us your discus :rolleyes:

I shall now get off my soap box and not post again concerning a BIDKA show, but it would be helpful to know if there is any appetite amongst the admin team for a 2015 UK based show? If so what views on how the show would be funded and how it will be progressed. Mark E's last post on this matter provides some really useful insights :thumbup:.
  8. Paul

Paul BIDKA Founder

Firstly I have to say well done to JohnnyDiscus for putting up such a nice prize for the 1-in-100 draw, you are a star sir!

And as for this ...
    No mate, you lost it a long time ago!

In response to JohnnyDiscus's post above I try to keep out of these types of discussions these days but on this occasion decided to stick my oar in :) And to be very clear this is NOT any form of dig or attack on JohnnyDiscus in anyway shape or form. I've only quoted him as my response is a general response with maybe a different viewpoint regarding fund raising and the show!

I'm not going to try and speak for the admin team, they are big enough and ugly enough to do that for themselves! But I would be extremely surprised if they didn't have the appetite for a show in 2015.

I can also attest to the fact that when BIDKA was established it was done so with the intent of always being free of any charge to be a member.

I have a little bit of experience regarding putting on shows, raising funds for said shows as well as raising funds for the day to day running of the forum. There is no doubt that money is needed, and always will be.
    Fund raising and fund raising ideas are always well received. Donations made, however small, are always gratefully received too. Supporting the draws is an effective way of supporting the forum, club and show.

Whilst money is important it is not the only requirement.

I know many have posted previously about man power and the time it takes to organise and put on a show. To me the previous posts fail to really show the immense amount of time it takes for the main organiser, and it doesn't matter how much is delegated, it still has to go across the organisers desk so to speak.

Someone has to make the decisions, sometimes those decisions won't please everyone, heck sometimes they don't please anyone! But if a decision isn't taken then everything grinds to a stop. Once a decision has been taken and communicated, it usually generates traffic on the forum, but what many don't see is often times the huge amount of telephone calls, pm's, emails (and sometime facebook whinges ;)) that the organiser has to field. And this happens with the vast majority of decisions taken, both large and small.

Very few people see the amount of effort and time prior to a show that the organiser and many of the team, have to put in just to get to a point where they can say we will have a show on this date and we will hold it here.

Then to add to all that the show organiser has to deal with all the political bs as well as the ego's of a variety of different people, be they exhibitors, judges, contributors or just small minded self serving egotistical and cowardly ne'er-do-wells who wish to snipe from afar. Then add in the "well I'd go to the show but it is 50 miles away and it's too far" whingers and it makes me wonder why anyone would ever bother trying to organise a show! And believe me it happens every time! And the kicker is that we get people coming from different countries and even different continents!

Then we come to those people who believe that they know best and that it is easy and all you need to do is throw a few things together and it's all done. They base this on nothing more than sitting behind their keyboard and typing their tripe on a daily basis with no consideration or knowledge of what is required. Usually it is these same people who then whinge "it's too far away" ...

Through all of this the organiser has to try and remain helpful, approachable, friendly and positive.

Organising a show and running the forum is nigh on a full time job. It is mentally draining at times, and whether appreciated or not costs the organiser both time and money, they'll not claim for time off work to go and visit a venue, or for the cost of getting there and back for example - yet they still have such things as mortgages etc. to pay for. The team will also be out of pocket during the build up to the show, all of them will pay their own hotels (their bar bill too ;)). In some cases taking time form work also costs them.

Many people will say, well I can help, I can maybe be there on the Friday, or perhaps the Monday - but it will depend on if the date is suitable or my grass isn't growing or there isn't a "y" in the day or if the sky is blue .... none of which is helpful. In practice for every 25 people who said they will help it tends to end up being 1 that does. The show tends to end up being put on by a few committed people, mostly the same few who put the last one on!

I'm not wanting to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but most need to understand the very real challenges that need to be overcome to put on a show. Whilst I appreciate there are some who cannot make plans for a date in the future, there are plenty that can. It takes time to build the show, time and effort! Shows always come down much quicker than they go up but I can promise you by the time you have organised the show, built the show, run the show and broken the show down you are physically and mentally shattered.

More people who are prepared to commit their time and energies upfront will make the whole process a lot easier. By committed I mean no caveats, no if's but's or maybe's. Either commit to doing it, or don't bother offering. Harsh? to some perhaps, but that is what is required.

The show build will usually start on a Monday, but prior to that kit needs collecting, sometimes it needs repairing or cleaning and most if not all the electrical items will need PAT testing. The kit will then need delivering (a 7.5 tonne vehicle is usually a minimum). By Thursday the show needs to be built so such things as benching can take place. Then there are stall holders, their gear may need to be tested too, many will require water, some will require additional labour to move gear etc.

During the show there will need to be staff on hand to make sure things run smoothly, that everyone knows where and when the presentations and talks are, that tickets are paid for, that the judges have everything they need and that the scores are collated, that any raffles are done ... the list goes on!

The show will then need breaking down and packing away. The gear needs to returned to stores wherever that happens to be! Again a 7.5 tonne vehicle is most likely needed along with someone who can drive it!

Volunteers aren't needed for all of the time, but they are needed to be dependable. So if they say I'll help build the show on Monday and Tuesday, be there on Monday and Tuesday! If you say you'll run the raffle for example, then turn up and run it! But don't say I might be there, I could help if ... that helps no one organise anything, except for potentially a clusterf*ck.

I'm guessing here, but basing that guess on experience, that the reason why the speculated show for 2014 didn't get scheduled was down to not enough people committing to helping with the various tasks. Help the organiser make decisions. You can do this by saying I will be there on, I will do that or I can do that for you - make your time available for your show!

This is as much your forum/club/show as anyone else's, if it wasn't for the members there would be none of it. It is clear that many want a show, and so they should too! The show is a great time to meet up, make new friends, meet old friends again and have a damned good time! Any member can help support the club from simply donating a couple of quid, to committing their time.

Mike is too nice to say it, but I'm not. If you want a show then put up or shut up!
  9. JohnnyDiscus

Thanks Paul, your oar and insight is always appreciated. As you say, it's up to the membership but we will need organising. Hopefully this may act as a catalyst.
  10. Sevvy

Sevvy Active Member

Spot on as always Paul, as said before, if a show goes ahead, I will be available from start to finish. I dont spend as much time in the forum now as I used to, my one year old see's to that, but I will be there.
    JohnnyDiscus and hipflask like this.
  11. hipflask

Kenya Kenya
    god, not on in ages then he comes on and makes up for lost time like someone who lost their keyboard weeks ago then found it:chuckle:
    paul as ever, correct in so many points though.
    yes, the proposed 2014 show did not get arranged because we just could not get "firm" (see how I used one word instead of 100 there paul?:evilgrin:) commitment to attend from enough members to healthily manage it.
    yes, mike will no doubt try again for next year................ but be assured, if the response is the same half a dozen firm commitments and 20 plus maybe/if/mights it will not go ahead again..........my opinion? you have to ask yourself, if it does not get arranged for 2 years in a run what chance is there it will ever be arranged again? now I don't know about you lot but that thought saddens me.:(
    mike os likes this.
  12. Slackey

I wonder how many times a post like Paul's will have to be written before people understand it. Mike has written at least one, I have, Hipflask has.

Money is the tip of the iceberg ........manpower and commitment is harder to get.

I look at it this way, if you want a holiday next year you book it and book the time off work. You save up and go. Treat the show as a mini break and then people may find they can actually commit. I don't know anyone who went in a travel agents and asked for a holiday and then said, well I will go if I can get the time off, but I will not know until days before!
    mike os likes this.
  13. mike os

mike os Administrator Staff Member

Wow... what can I add to that???

Not a lot really ;)

I have deliberately not replied sooner because I wanted to see where this went.

Paul has covered my thoughts a d feelings on this better than I would have myself... I really want BIDKA to be free and be perceived as free to all discus lovers everywhere.

I am currently looking at venues for 2015 and hope to have some real time for this after I return from judging at the nordic discus show in a few weeks

As always I am amazed at the generosity of you all in keeping BIDKA and the show alive.. and people like Johnny who go the extra mile have my real admiration and thanks, it is this attitude of generosity that makes BIDKA and the show special
  14. JOHN .A

JOHN .A BIDKA Mentor & Show Shareholder

I think one in a hundred is the best way to raise money and. Keep the site ticking over. Show shares are good idea
    If there is any money left over subsidise hotel rooms for helpers.not the beer :evilgrin:
  15. hipflask

Kenya Kenya
    would never cover the beer john!!!
    mike os likes this.
  16. mike os

mike os Administrator Staff Member

Would not even come close. ...
  17. kkhusse

kkhusse Active Member

I remember when I first joined bidka there was an auction section. Where people placed and sold their excess fish/equipment. Could this not come back on the proviso that a fixed percentage of sale is donated to bidka?
    Paul Smith and kevrob17 like this.
  18. Slackey

The
    The problem we had with that, and the reason we removed it, is that most people did not make the donation after they had sold their stuff. It was more work for us and achieved no more than just having the classified section.
    Mark Evenden likes this.
  19. Tommy Saville

Tommy Saville Well-Known Member

At 89-and-a-half years of age, my memory is rarely 100%, but wasn't there talk of a show being run by BIDKA and UKDC jointly? Both having had experience, and with possibly double manpower being available, it seems like a good idea.............
  20. Keith Thomas

Keith Thomas Active Member

An idea for raising some money is the clothing etc that is already sold. I know Mike was looking for another supplier and I have put him in touch with a friend who is a printer and runs a business doing this sort of stuff. I'm hoping that my friend will also be able to promote the other items that his company does as they are able to print mugs, mouse mats etc, this could potentailly allow for people to get a custom printed mug with their own fish on the mug with a bidka logo on the other side. While this wouldn't raise 10k it is a start and as Tesco says every little helps.

Meant to say I also keep marine fish and a local forum I am involved with recently had to remove the membership fee as it's numbers were dwindling. They have left and optional donation button and a lot of members still do use it. It did cause a lot of arguements between paying and non-paying members. I definitely think the 1 in 100 draws are a good way to raise money but I imagine they take a lot of time to organise.