1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick Sick Discus ARGENT HELP NEEDED!!!

Discussion in 'Basic Care and Husbandry' started by Cr8ig81, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Cr8ig81

Cr8ig81 New Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Please help guys

Bought 2 new discus five days ago and impatient me didn't quarantine and this has happened. Serious discoloration to 3 fish and another on its way and no one is eating.

Does anyone have a plan of action to cure the fish???

Thanks in Advance..
  2. simon marshall

simon marshall Moderator & BIDKA Mentor Staff Member

Okay so few questions before we get stuck into the do this piece, you are quite correct this is cross contamination between the two sets of fish. They don't look that bad (yet) so calm down.

What are your water parameters ? is everything okay water wise ....Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate PH etc
    Are the fish flicking ??
    Are they eating ?(unclear in the forum thread)
    Have you added any meds yet ?
    do you have a UV light on the tank ?

The flow looks pretty strong so may need to be aimed away from the fish or slowed a little.
    jizzy and papasan2 like this.
  3. Cr8ig81

Cr8ig81 New Member

ph has always been relatively high at 7.4 - 7.6
    ammonia level is 0ppm - 0.25ppm
    nitrite level is 0ppm
    nitrate level is 40ppm
    so the levels are fine
    I started using this yesterday so the last 24hrs so the water has been treated with this:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...iw=1787&bih=851&dpr=0.9#imgrc=zUoYLPMP-kbdLM:

I had a internal filter with uv but have taken it out since i started medicating
    no fish flicking
    their not eating
  4. simon marshall

Hmmm not used this and to be honest probably wouldn't, not sure if this will fix your issue as this is likely to be bacterial. I would have gone with Formalin and Malachite green as this would cover both bacterial and parasite. The other option would have been chlorine T by kusuri. Given you have started treatment you will need to complete this and see how it progresses.

Ammonia needs to be 0 as well so stop feeding as they aren't eating it, then build up feeding slowly. Watch your water parameters closely whilst treating

good luck
  5. Cr8ig81

Cr8ig81 New Member

my Fingers are crossed
  6. JOHN .A

JOHN .A BIDKA Mentor & Show Shareholder

Waterlife products never worked for me.
  7. Owl

Owl BIDKA Member & Show Shareholder

Agree with Simon that the fish don't look too bad at this stage and also you should finish the course of medication that you have started them on.
    Feeding non-live foods when you are showing traces of ammonia won't help one bit as any food that is uneaten will only help to increase the ammonia level.
    Personally I am a firm fan of only offering small amounts of safe live foods to encourage sick fish to start feeding again.
  8. Cr8ig81

Cr8ig81 New Member

i'm not going to recommended waterlife medication.
  9. Cr8ig81

Cr8ig81 New Member

Cheers mate
  10. simon marshall

Take it this never worked ??

How are the fish looking ?
  11. Cr8ig81

Cr8ig81 New Member

out of six i managed to save 4
  12. larry rogers

larry rogers Member

United States United States
    Not so fast Grasshopper

IF THE MEDICATION SAVED FOUR FISH IT WORKED, unless the four were never sick to start with. Looking at the clip at top of page I see seven discus and an angel. I see a little environmental distress in the angels behavior but no evident infection. The same is true of at least three of the discus. Angels and discus both respond to eminent death of tankmates by showing stress. If this is true then the handwriting was already on the wall for at least one of the others and your medication may not have saved the other three. Just guessing I am going to say that the fish in the foreground to the left and the fish all the way to the back at the left in the end of the video are the two you added. I base this guess on the fact that the others look well fed and healthy and those two show signs of compromised immune systems. Both fish have tightly compressed fins and depressions in their sides from long term underfeeding or not eating. Commercial operations are notorious for underfeeding and fish are sometimes fasted before they are shipped under the mistaken idea that it will help control ammonia discharge into the bag. Whatever the cause NEVER, I repeat, NEVER add fish with depressed sides or rigidly clamped fins directly. Your life will be much less miserable if you quarantine them and get them healthy and eating first. Now if this guess is true then you have these possibilities; fish in your tank were already sick and these two succumbed to that illness, the medication saved the other four fish and worked; or these two fish were typhoid Marys and two of the fish in the tank succumbed and the medication save the rest and worked; or the typhoid Marys got two other fish and the others never got sick and the medication failed. Without knowing much more about the health of your tank I cannot pull the correct rabbit out of this hat. I can tell you that the fish immediately to the right in the end of the film beside the last fish looks to have been healthy and become infected. If he, and the fish immediately behind the angel going toward the back, and the two black fish with the clamped fins are the deaths I would guess that your meds weren't worth the time to throw them out. I hope this helps some.

Larry