1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on tall, bushy plants for corner of tank

Discussion in 'Planted & Display Tanks' started by Scorps1212, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hey guys

So.....I wanna make the tank a bit more planty. Not the whole tank, just in the corner where the rock and air stone is.

You can see from the pictures the area I would like to stick the plants. I want to position them around the back and sides of where the rock is so the rock is in the middle of the plants.

Now the tricky part......I only have about 10-15mm of sand on the bottom of the tank, so I can't dig the plants down to stay put. I also just have standard LED lighting and no C02 system in place. I add tetra plant each month.

So.....can anyone suggest any tall, bushy plants that I can put around that rock in the corner that don't require high quality lighting or C02? Also how can I keep them down in such shallow sand?

Appreciate any help given.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

OK so I have found 3 types of plants I wanna get. Probably 2 bundles of each. Will they be any good?

Crypto Petchii
    Crypto Willissii
    Echinodorus Argentinensis
  3. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

All I need to know now is how to keep the plants down. Can you buy aquarium safe lead? Maybe can wrap some lead around the base of the plants and bury that in the sand.
  4. Steve Dawes

Steve Dawes Well-Known Member

I'm not sure they would survive in the medium/long term in such a shallow substrate as the root system will not be able to establish. You would be better off getting something like Java fern , java moss or Anubias which you can attach to the rock with a bit of fishing line. They take nutrients from the water so need to be concerned about depth of substrate.
  5. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Hey Steve. Yeah I've had fern in there before and still have a couple of pieces in there now. Not too impressed with Java fern. Doesn't seem to last too long until the leaves start turning black and looking lifeless.

I wanted something to plant around the rock rather than on the rock so it would create space for the discus or other fish to venture in and out of. If you know what I mean.
  6. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

OK.....I got it. I'll buy some black substrate and put it in the corner where the rock is for the plants. So the whole tank will be yellow sand apart from that one corner which will be black substrate. That was I can have my plants in that corner without them dying off after a few weeks.

It's possible to just have some kind of substrate as the only layer on the bottom......right? Without having to cover it with a layer of something else?
  7. magicfish

magicfish Active Member

Have you thought about using small plant pots.thats what I used in my bb tank with aquarium compost.
  8. Scorps1212

Scorps1212 Active Member

Funny enough the plants arrived yesterday and I didn't know but they have arrived in black plastic pots with holes in. Plants are in a sponge type thing then the sponge type thing is in a plastic pot with holes in.

Take it I can just leave them as they are and dig the pots half way down into the substrate right? Rather than pulling the plants out of the sponge.