1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water Conditioner

Discussion in 'Basic Care and Husbandry' started by peterhill26, Feb 16, 2017.

1. peterhill26

peterhill26 Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all i am using Prime us my Water Conditioner but this have no Stress Coat in it so can i use API Stress Coat at the same time with the Prime or any other like Fluval Water Conditioner.
  2. larry rogers

larry rogers Member

United States United States
    To give you a good answer on this one i would have to know the ingredients of each of the proposed candidates. Some chemicals react with each-other instead of chlorine or chloramine and some can be overdosed. Overdose may cause something you cannot see such as sterility of one sex or the other. It is also not a good practice the start combining chemicals in your tanks. Combine them elsewhere and dose from there if there are no reactions. If there are reactions find out what you have before dosing your fish with it. Some reactions can produce compounds much more lethal than those you want to treat.
  3. peterhill26

peterhill26 Member

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier but just to update you i have gone over to Fluval Water Conditioner and stop using the Prime Conditioner to see if it is better for my Discus.
    What do you think?
  4. Carl_825

Carl_825 Active Member

I would trust Prime more, think you can get too bogged down in things you don`t actually know if its right or wrong, I`ll be interested to see if you see any difference
    in the switch?
    peterhill26 likes this.
  5. matt19852011

matt19852011 Active Member

Use sodium thiosulfate, alot cheaper
  6. larry rogers

larry rogers Member

United States United States
    Another problem with many of these compounds is they leave residues in the fish that renders them unsafe for human consumption. So now we have polluted water that should actually not be flushed into public sewers and the question of whether or not the chemicals are actually not safe for the fish either. I prefer to filter off chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, and the farm residues and pesticides that ha
    have become resident in our water supplies. While this method is initially more expensive if you keep records over the long haul it is cheaper than chemicals and easier on the tank residents in water changes.
    Larry